Sustainability Specialist Job Posting
Location: Alberta Salary Range: $55,000 to $65,000
Start Date: Immediate
Experience: 2 – 3 years in the environmental sector
Closing Date: April 3, 2020
Company Overview: Viresco Solutions Inc. is an environmental consulting firm that helps our clients strategically navigate the complex and evolving world of sustainability. We are leading experts in developing science-based metrics and solutions that enhance our clients’ social license to operate. We focus our work at the intersection of agriculture, waste, bioenergy, greenhouse gases and sustainable supply chains. We are passionate about what we do and are committed in making transformational change happen by pushing the boundaries of the status quo. Our Vision is to help mainstream sustainability for the companies we work with.
Job Overview: Viresco Solutions is currently recruiting for a Sustainability Specialist. This candidate would join a team of experienced and entrepreneurial Sustainability Specialists, reporting to the President. This is a full-time, salaried position located in Calgary or Edmonton (head office based in Calgary). The successful applicant will have the opportunity to join a team of professionals working at the forefront of agricultural emission reductions and sustainability. Some travel will be required.
1. Project Management
• Manage public and private sector consulting contracts related to Viresco Solutions Inc. business;
• Coordinate scientific workshops and meetings;
• Ensure projects are on time, task and budget, with project management documentation;
• Develop project plans that are consistent with project objectives and in alignment with standard operating procedures; and
• Liaise with clients as required.
2. Technical Analysis
• Prepare GHG offset emission reduction quantifications and supporting documentation;
• Develop analytical tools to quantify environmental metrics;
• Complete comparisons or validations of calculation methodologies;
• Investigate environmental market opportunities for clients across a range of environmental assets (carbon, water, bioenergy);
• Research the latest trends, tools and regulations related to environmental markets and corporate social and environmental responsibility; and,
• Assist in the development of sustainability strategies by facilitating meetings, providing research support and documentation as required.
• Prepare high quality final project documents including project reports, briefing notes, presentations, meeting minutes, infographics, and excel spreadsheets;
• Communicate project outcomes and results to non-technical audiences;
• Present project findings/results at relevant workshops, conferences and meetings; and,
• Engage in productive and professional conversations with project clients.
4. Business Development
• Develop and write project proposals, grant applications and project work plans;
• Follow up on client conversations about future project work;
• Monitor online consulting project databases for possible projects; and,
• Attend and/or speak at conferences, meetings, workshops and other networking events.
• B.Sc. or M.Sc. or M.A. degree from an accredited institution in the fields of Biology, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Agricultural Sciences, Ecology, Forestry, Sustainability, or related disciplines.
• A strong interest and understanding of sustainability, particularly in the fields of agriculture, bioenergy, food systems or forestry.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills, and the ability to present complex information in technical reports.
• Knowledge of climate change policy and science.
• Quantitative analysis skills, including an understanding of basic statistics and ability to develop quantification tools in Excel.
• An ability to independently manage multiple projects and deadlines.
• The flexibility to work independently or as part of a team, and work in a supporting role or in a project manager role.
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
• Experience in developing project materials, including proposals, project plans, client communications, PowerPoint presentations, and technical reports.
• Registered professional designations (P.Ag., P.Biol., E.P.) would be an asset.
• Experience in Greenhouse Gas quantification or accounting, or training therein would be a strong asset.
• Two plus years work experience in the environmental sector.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
• Please note, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, interviews will be conducted by videoconference.
• The successful candidate will be required to provide three references and proof of education or credentials. They may also be asked to participate in a short competency test or exercise.
If you are interested in the above opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter to Teri McNaught at [email protected] by Friday April 3, 2020.